Shine bright like a Diamond in the Moonlight at prom

Michelle Hernandez, Reporter

Diamonds in the Moonlight is the theme for the spring main event prom, April 28, at the Tuscany Ballroom, 8 p.m. to midnight.

This challenging event is hard to plan from theme to decorations, prom elections and expenses. The junior class plans and hosts prom.

“It was hard to choose a theme, the students brought their ideas to the meeting,” Class of 2019 sponsor Martha Levario said. “The students narrowed it down to three and voted at a meeting.”

Juniors struggled for a theme, but after some brainstorming they came up with one after two meetings.

“We wanted to be elegant and have a memorable event for the seniors,” Class of 2019 sponsor Nancy Hernandez said.

At the senior meeting during study skills March 29, juniors presented prom information to seniors.

“I find it really interesting because when I think about Diamonds in the Moonlight it reminds me of this one excerpt from Romeo and Juliet,” senior class president Bruce Jordan said. “Romeo describes how a diamond earring looks like in Juliet’s ear or how he pictures her. When I think of that, all these people will be dressed up fancy for the first time in their high school career and having an awesome time.”

Seniors expect a few things at prom.

“I expect a lot of dancing because I was there last year. The venue is really nice, the dance floor is sized well and people have fun,” Jordan said.

Juniors have been working hard on decorations.

“We started planning early, We’re doing last touches finalizing the decorations,” Hernandez said. “We decided to keep the decorations a secret because we want the guests to be surprised.”

Juniors are doing all they can to make this event memorable.

“We felt responsible to make sure the senior’s prom is elegant, but most importantly that they have fun,” Hernandez said.

Prom is approaching quickly and the junior class sponsors and committee recommend students to purchase tickets at the commons during second lunch.

“Get your tickets now before it gets expensive,” Hernandez said. “Prices are $50 per couple and $30 per individual . The price is $35 (per ticket) the day of prom.”

Seniors are looking forward to attending prom.

The theme persuaded me to attend because it seems very romantic and I really like the theme,” senior Larissa Cortez said. “I expect people attending will make memories with their friends.”

The junior class sponsor advises seniors to attend since it’s their last year.

“Bring your friends don’t worry about getting a date. Dance all night and have fun,” Hernandez said.