Law Enforcement and Fire Tech bring state championships

Paul Solis

The Public Safety Academy takes state championship.

Diana Villegas, Reporter

Law Enforcement and Fire Tech came back victorious after winning the Texas Public Service Teachers Association State competition in Corpus Christi, Texas.

The organization helps students prepare.

“Competing helps because of the experience, people can get an idea of their future,” forensics sergeant Valerye Antuna said.

There were new things to learn.

“Having a good mentality is something that we had to learn the most,” Physical Training Lieutenant Juan Carrasco said. “You can’t have discipline if you don’t have good mental health,” 

Difficult times lead to success.

“Getting on the bus on time is something that we would struggle with,”commander in chief Adrian Pena said. “Also leaving and coming back together as a team. Just keeping everyone safe and healthy,”

There are members who have been competing throughout high school.

“My freshman year I competed for blood splatter and got 1st place, Crash Investigation and took 3rd place. Junior year I competed for forensics science in the HOSA competition and took 2nd place,” Antuna said. “Now in my senior year I’ve competed for Disaster Response and took 1st place, Booking Procedure and got 2nd place in state we competed for crime scene and got 1st place.” 

Preparing for competition was a long journey.

“We began practicing Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Saturdays we would stay from 8 in the morning to 12 in the afternoon,” law enforcement vice-president Nicole Gutierrez said.

There are memorable moments while competing.

“My favorite part of competitions is when everything is setting down and our students are going up the stage and they’re accepting awards for their hard work,”  Fire Tech sponsor Paul Solis said. “ They turn it around and do really well, and it makes them feel really well which ultimately makes the whole department feel good as well.”