Fashion class designs to impress

Fashion+class+students+work+on+a+project+that+requires+a+dress+made+out+of+newspaper.+

Illustrated by Angelica Ledesma

Fashion class students work on a project that requires a dress made out of newspaper.

Angelica Ledesma, Reporter

Fashion is popular. Everyday fashion finds a way to be creative and unique. The Fashion class is coming in strong through projects that show their sense of imagination.

“It makes me feel proud of each student. It amazes me to see their creativity and attention to detail,” Fashion Club sponsor Cynthia Delgado said.

Delgado’s interest in fashion began when she graduated from high school, attended NMSU and pursued her Bachelor’s degree in Clothing, Textiles and Fashion Merchandising.  She joined Del Valle High School and received a Master’s degree in Secondary Education.

“I began my teaching career almost eight years ago and always wanted to teach fashion,” Delgado said.

In fashion class, students dedicate themselves to projects by focusing on a variety of essentials such as color, patterns and measuring.

“Students learn about the elements of and principles of design in class which apply to designing an outfit or look. Color, texture, line emphasis and proportion are all considered in fashion for different body types,” Delgado said.

Fashion class collaborates to make outfits step-by-step.

“Students will develop and vote on themes for the next upcoming fashion show. This will provide direction for each student’s creativity in their designs. Students will create an inspiration board with pictures then sketch their idea before the creation process.” Delgado said.

Fashion is all about outfits and makeup, but nothing beats self-confidence.

“Fashion is a great way to gain confidence and feel proud of yourself because we finish an outfit that we made and improve as time goes on,” Captain Leslie Rodarte said.

Students present their outfits in front of people or judges, and little do they know, the nervous starts to fill in.

“We feel pressure and we feel nervous (presenting) because we don’t know what other people are thinking and all we want is to them to like them,” Rodarte said.

Fashion class is another way to be competitive and seek out challenges that help students to be more original.

“Fashion class gives me time to seek ways to be open-minded, and creative,” Fashion class member Olga Arreola said. “I like the fashion class because it is very extroverted.”