Prom date, it’s all in the asking

Danielle Medina, Reporter

Boxes filled with balloons, posters with bright neon letters, sweet treats to give a tasty opening to prom — all are Prom proposal possibilities.

For  high school students, standards are high as if a prom proposal is a job that needs to be done. Some may go beyond measure to get a girl or boy to be a prom date.

“I would go to the stadium and put a ton of roses on the floor spelling the name of the girl, and I would stand in the middle in a heart, as I hold a poster saying, Prom?” junior Ivan Ramirez said about his Prom proposal idea.

Prom gives students a chance to do something extraordinary. It’s not all about the big things, but when it comes down to a special moment some get creative.

“It’s a permanent memory in their date’s life, it shows how much they care about one another and how they make an effort to go all out for them,” junior Rita Sliter said.

Asking someone to prom has changed over the years.

“Prom is like one of those write-up passages that everyone should go to cause you only have a certain amount of chances for memories in high school, and prom is one of those things you’ll never forget. Prom is crazy, you see all these signs and videos. It was just a prom then it turned into a full blown proposal,” debate teacher Rick Jordan said.

Prom has different meanings full of special moments, and a prom proposal has become one of those special moments everyone wants to make it memorable.

“To ask a girl to prom I really want to show her that she is the only one who truly sees me as a person. I want to show her a night of adventure and ask her under the stars with a big poster and balloons and knowing that I asked her to prom which will make me feel good about her saying ‘yes’,” senior Andy Mendoza said.

Asking someone is the beginning of a whole other adventure, but asking in a special way  is an adventure in itself.

“I can’t wait to feel like I don’t have to worry about anything, I could have fun and do things that may never had interest me. I’m excited for prom to come so I can have an awesome day not only with my date but with my class,” senior Jessica Morales said.