Special Olympics team gears up for spring games

Jesus Martinez, Reporter

The Special Olympics are modeled after the Olympic Games, founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

“Special Olympics has events all year long, depending upon the sport offered for competition. Here at DVHS the students participate in track and field for the Spring Games. The Spring Games will be held Friday, May 6, at Burges high school with Opening Ceremonies from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Competition events start May 7 at 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.,” head coach Cecilia Torres said.

Students and coaches are preparing for the games.

“I am the head coach, the manager is Marie Hernandez and there will be adult volunteers assisting four to five people. DVHS will have eight to 12 students competing. The students train for their track and field events, two to three times per week depending upon the weather and are trained in the afternoon’s at the track,” Torres said.

The purpose of this event is for children and adults to give them continuing opportunities to show courage, better their physical fitness and experience happiness while participating in a sharing of gifts or skills with their friends and family.

“Time and distance measurements are taken to be submitted to Special Olympics Region 19, to enter the students into the correct heat based upon their ability,” Torres said.