Science National Honors Society established

Miroslava Lem Quinonez, Reporter

A new chapter began last April with the establishment of the Science National Honors Society (SNHS). What started as a student’s idea, became a reality that will culminate with the induction of the first members in March.   

The idea was proposed by a sophomore. 

“It first began during quarantine, around June 2020, when I asked Mr. Benavides if we had or could have a SNHS. He told me we didn’t but he would see what he could do to start one because he always had the idea of starting one. He took the idea to Mr. Acuña and Mr. Lara, and with their permission the plan went through,” senior Marlene Avitia said.

The concept came from social media.

“I actually got the idea from a Tik Tok video. I was scrolling through the videos and I came across a 2020 graduate showing all her chords and explaining where they came from. She mentioned one of them came from a SNHS and that immediately caught my attention because I had never heard of one at Del Valle. I immediately knew that if we did not have one, Mr. Benavides would have done anything possible to bring the students a Science National Honor Society,” Avitia said. 

The suggestion gave rise to the founding of the society. 

“I love to listen to my students with an open heart and mind, Del Valle is growing and it means an opportunity for the future,” SNHS sponsor Ramon Benavides said.

The process started once the permission was given. 

“First, as a school we had to apply to have a SNHS in our campus, and after a few months, April 2021, we received the news that our school now had a SNHS,” Avitia said.

Covid-19 has been an obstacle to structure it. 

“It took about nine months to organize SNHS,” Benavides said.

The process of member selection is determined through an application with certain requirements such as being in the last two years of secondary school with the exception of exceptional sophomores, having and maintaining a 3.0 grade point average across all classes, and a 3.5 GPA across all sciences, or enrollment in at least one honor science class, such as AP or Dual Credit. Thirty students have applied and finalists will be determined by a committee.  

“There is a teacher council with four science teachers in the four levels,” Benavides said.

Activities are planned for the society. 

“Community service and activities with other clubs will be accomplished,” Benavides said.

The organization plans to expand the field. 

“It is to have a stronger representation of the science field in El Paso,” Benavides said.

Students with interest in the science field wanted the creation of the society. 

“I did consider this club necessary at our school. We have a NHS and an NEHS, so why not have a society that recognizes the hard work and passion of students in the science field. I have always recognized that there are different types of students, those who are more inclined to English and History, and those who are inclined towards science and mathematics,” Avitia said.

Members are expected to expand their knowledge and discover more about science. 

“It provides another opportunity for kids to meet other kids and continue in the science field,” Benavides said.

The creation of the society is a step forward to the school.

“It means our school is supporting students, it is a great pleasure to recognize talent in the medical field and to continue to grow as a school,” principal Antonio Acuña said.