Fall and year round sports recap

Helio Leza, Reporter

The first semester came to an end and so did fall sports seasons. Cross Country, wrestling, football, and volleyball wrapped up. Year-Round sports including swimming and tennis continued on.

The tennis team became champions in fall.

“This season we struggled with the teams in the higher division teams and had a few injuries. We became back-to-back champions by winning the district District and Bi District championship on Oct.28 and 29. We are losing six players but have eight returning players,” tennis head coach Victor Gutierez said.

The wrestling team had a great season with two state qualifiers.

“This season started slower than last year because there were a lot of new kids and there was no mat room, but it’s good that we had seven returning wrestlers. It was good to see the team working together to get better. It was good to see that they were taking responsibility for not showing up for practice but it became a drag for the team at times. We have two wrestlers Mia Perez and Ernest Bencomo going to state,” wrestling head coach Carlos Armendarez said.

Swimming ended Jan 21, but a lot of swimmers went to regionals.

“We had a great season with some of our swimmers even making it to regionals. We had a bit of trouble with the weather and with the swimming pool having a power outage that one time. But I’m happy with what they have done and can’t wait to see where they go next,” swimming coach Paul Salcido said.

The volleyball team stands 6 – 22. 

Although they only won two games in the district most of the girls on the team are underclassmen and may return.