Special Olympics basketball team heads to state

Alan Enriquez

Senior point guard Bryan Espinoza attempts a free throw.

Alan Enriquez, Reporter

For the first time in school history, the Special Olympics Basketball Team is on its way to state competition in Arlington, Texas from May 25th through the 27th.

“I’m excited because we get to represent Del Valle and also we get to have fun,” senior point guard Bryan Espinoza said.

The team won two scrimmages against Hanks High School and St. Pius which allowed them to enter the state competition, but just because the team qualified doesn’t mean they can go compete just yet.

“Money is needed and so far we have raised $16,000. We’re hoping to raise at least $17,000 and that money will be used for hotel, transportation, activities, and entry fees.” coach Ramirez said.

Many things have already been done. There will be a shirt sale to raise the remaining amount that is needed. The shirts cost $10, $12 for double extra large and $14 for triple extra large.

“We had a burger sale, concessions, booth for the kids and right now we are selling shirts to the teachers and the ones for students will go on sale in a week or two during both lunch periods,” coach Edgar Ramirez said.

Although it is the team’s first time competing in state, they are still confident that they will do well and get far in the competition.

“We’re always positive about ourselves and we play well and we also have good coaches,” point guard Liliana Villa said.