Varsity baseball team goes from pitches to hits

Varsity players Jose and Antonio on the baseball field preparing for the game April 13, against Riverside High School.

Asya Vazquez, Reporter

The boys varsity baseball team is off to a great start after a grand ribbon cutting to inaugurate the new field. It was the first game in district against Bowie High School with a winning score of 5-3.

The field was renovated over the summer.

“This is our first year playing night games, there is much more of a  bigger crowd during the night and it is much more of a clear sight to see the ball, it is honestly sensational,” Jv infielder Adrian Quintana said.

Baseball players enjoy the new field.

“The lights and wall give it more of an authentic feeling,” varsity centerfield and pitcher Samuel Osoria said.

This field is a different experience.

“This year is different for our team, our team chemistry is much more united. We all together play as one team,” Osoria said.

The team has a goal ahead of them.

“Our goal as a team is to definitely make it to playoffs,” varsity catcher Alex Sanchez said.

The team is learning to overcome adversity and obtain mental toughness.

“My expectation as a coach is for my team to go out and play the best they possibly can, with enthusiasm and allow winning to take care of itself,” Head baseball coach O’Neil Sanchez said.

The coach has a recommendation for all his senior baseball players.

“Have no regrets,” O’Neil Sanchez said.

The coach said the season had its obstacles

“There have been ups and downs, we have had some good games and have had ones slip away,” O’Neil Sanchez said.

Catcher Alex Sanchez has some advice for incoming new baseball players

“Stay focused at practicing and maintain good grades and positive moral,”  Alex Sanchez said.