Soccer team shoots for successful season

Midfielder+David++crosses+the+ball+on+goal+keeper+Jose%2C+Dec.+12%2C+during+practice.+

Sebastian Becerra

Midfielder David crosses the ball on goal keeper Jose, Dec. 12, during practice.

Tristin Tuialuuluu, Reporter

The soccer team has a winning history with many championships under their belt. Head coach Bruce Reichman has been coaching on campus for 30 years and has won two state championships, in 2003 and 2008. He holds tryouts every year to decide who are the best players fit to keep the winning tradition going in our soccer program.

“The goal for this has always been and always will be to win a state championship,” Reichman said.         

With soccer season just around the corner many are eager to give the team a shot. Tryouts for the soccer team were Nov. 28 – Dec 2, after school in the soccer field from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The soccer tryouts consisted of scrimmaging against each other while the coaches watch and take notes. Coaches judge the players by their agility, their speed and their ability to control the ball.

“I feel like this season will be a very successful one and I feel very confident in myself and in my team,” midfielder Jose Vizcarra said.

The girls soccer team had tryouts the same days and cuts were posted, Nov. 30. Those who have the soccer class have the upper edge to making the team because they have been working all year long. For some players in the class, tryouts are just another day of practice, but to some it is a fight to make the team.

“I feel very confident that I will make the team and I know we have a lot to prove but I believe that we have a very good chance of being district champions and making it far into the playoffs,” junior Catalina Crosse said.