Swim team takes early win

Girls swim team participates in time trials at the Armijo Aquatic Center, Nov. 5.

Daniel Jimenez

Genesis Rosales, Reporter

The school’s swimming team may be little known and one might not know about all the hard work and dedication they put in. Their season starts in October and ends on February .

The team’s coach Jesus Sandoval has been coaching 4 years. The team has grown in numbers. They have 54 members as of Oct. 25. The sport may not be for everyone but they welcome new members. Thirteen freshmen have joined the team.

“We have new promising freshmen,” Sandoval said. The coach explained the freshmen swim as fast as the seniors, but they still have a long way to go.

“I’m hoping to keep the freshmen for next year,”  Sandoval said.

The team has outstanding swimmers. The top three girl swimmers include senior Sophia Duron, sophomore Madison Valverde and  freshman Nicole Sierra Munoz. The top boys include seniors Aaron Diaz, and Emmanuel Oyervides, and freshmen Miguel Mireles and Jaime Guzman.

The team has been practicing since September and have had five competitions. The first one was in Oct. 14, against Jefferson High School. The boys defeated Jefferson and took first place and the girls took second place. The team was invited to The Far West Relay Invitational where an additional 12 schools participated. It wasn’t easy but they succeeded and took third place out of 13 schools.

Swimmers endure early practices before coming to school. They have practices at William W. Cowan Aquatic Center, from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. Even though the road isn’t easy the team is aiming for district.

“Failure isn’t an option,” captain Emmanuel Oyervides said. “ We just have to keep on swimming and aim for what we want as a team.”