Getting Fit

Juan Martinez, Reporter

There is a fitness revolution happening all over the nation as more people are becoming aware of the dangers of a sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits. The number of gym memberships has steadily increased over the last 10 years by more than 10 million according to statista.com

“I think the fitness industry is growing throughout the world and through social media, changing people’s lives. Therefore people see other’s efforts and results and join the movement,” gym-goer Christian Granillo said.

People have their own reasons for starting their journey into the realm of self-improvement.

“I started feeling self conscious of my small body and frame. My two brothers always teased and made fun of me. My goal was to transform my body to build more shape and fullness,” science teacher Josie Zamora said. Zamora is also an International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness pro.

Everyone has to start somewhere, the level of success they reach will depend on the individual’s drive.

“I was able to do very well in my first competition. This gave me the motivation to continue and to compete and qualify at national level. After three national shows, I earned my professional card and won the overall figure category. I guess my motivation started with someone believing in me first,” Zamora said.

Local gyms seem to get more packed as an army of gym rats flood the fitness centers.

“People are getting into fitness more than ever before, you start seeing more youngsters going as well, which is good because that’s saying that children are learning how important it is to exercise,” athlete Erik Ruiz said.

Many pursue a dream, a vision in their head, they fight to make it come to reality.

“It may be a simple dream right now, but I want to have one of the best bodies in the industry,” Salinas said.

Staying fit takes far more than just imagining it in your head.

“I usually do an indoor cycling class for 45 minutes before work and then head to the gym to train with weights after school and occasionally add another cardio session depending on how lean I need to be on stage. I eat very clean usually 6-7 meals a day. My nutrition is essential for maintaining muscle,” Zamora said.

Students have realized the hard work that is required for fitness.

“Bodybuilding requires you to give up many things, you have to sacrifice. Sacrifice not only for a few weeks, but months, even years. Rome was not built in a day and neither will your body,” Granillo said.

Although there may be a huge sacrifice, the payoff goes far beyond the physical.

“I used to be very negative with everything, now I see things more positively and also my confidence went through the roof. Even though I am not where I want to be, bodybuilding has changed my mind to the best I can be,” Salinas said.

While some benefit from the positive mindset, others have different acquisitions.

“It gave me a sense of discipline with everything, to man it up when times get hard,” senior Ruiz said.

Take it or leave it, the fitness industry is booming, those who are willing to put in the hard work, discipline, and dedication will reap the benefits of this sport.