Sophomore filmmaker’s quest to be documented

Sophomore Roberto De La Rosa is the subject of a documentary regarding his dream of filmmaking.  El Paso filmmakers, DoubleScope Films, is filming a series of web stories, tracking De La Rosa and his quest to become a filmmaker.

DoubleScope films  is a full service video, audio and motion graphics production company offering national level quality productions, based out of Texas, Colorado and New York. Founder and director of photography Jaime Blanco grew up in El Paso until he decided to further his music career in Austin. Producer Luis Ruiz, who is also working on De La Rosa’s documentary, is a recent graduate of University of Texas at El Paso in Multi Disciplinary studies, concentrating in film, multimedia journalism and political science.

The DoubleScope web series, “Making Roobie Rookie” will document De La Rosa’s process of making his cinema-quality stop-motion film, The Roobie Rookie Story.

“I’m making a western. But I don’t want it all to be about war; I want there to be dance and friendship too. I wanted to make an animated movie for kids to see,” De la Rosa said.
De La Rosa’s teachers are proud to have a student working on creating a big project like his film and being a part of the documentary.

“I think it’s great when anybody gets to accomplish their dream. I’m extremely proud of Roberto because he’s such a great student. On top of that, I think it’s great because it brings recognition to him as a student, it brings recognition to the school, his family and it brings a lot of awareness to this type of accomplishment,” IPC teacher Edana Slaight said.

Students are supportive of De La Rosa’s project.

“I think it’s really important. I think his movie and his documentary are going to make us all look good as a student body,” junior Irma De La Pena said.

De La Rosa is already looking ahead to future projects.

“I hope the movie can be done in at least three years. After this movie is complete, I’d like to think I can have a career working for Disney Studios or 20th Century Fox somewhere in the future. But I like shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy, so I’m basing my next project on those kinds of shows,” De La Rosa said.