School goes on practice lockdown

Making schools as safe as possible is a priority. To ensure that, a surprise practice lockdown was held on campus on April 23.

“Practice makes perfect,” Sergeant Michael Atkins said.

Unfortunate events such as the Columbine High School and Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, have steered awareness towards preparedness.

“The plan is to not give them any targets,” Assistant Principal Jesus Serna said.

Teachers were instructed  in the event of a lockdown. Instructions include locking the doors, turning off the lights, hiding in a corner and keeping the class quiet.

“[If in the hallways] get into a classroom as soon as possible, any classroom,” Atkins said.

Word of the lockdown spread fast and students soon started to speculate when the event would take place. The rumors spread quickly, making the practice-lockdown a challenge.

“I was scared to leave the classroom and being left outside,” sophomore Jennifer Martinez said.

In the event of a lockdown students outside of a classroom are instructed to go in the nearest classroom or bathroom.

“[If in the bathroom] stay in the bathroom, close the door and put your feet up,” Atkins said.

The lockdown lasted less that 20 minutes and proceeded smoothly.

“We’ll learn from that,” Serna said.

Thirty students were casualties during the practice-lockdown because of an unlocked door.

“Easy fix, won’t happen ever again,” Atkins said.

The practice-lockdown had very few issues to address and served to prepare the campus.

“It went awesome,” Atkins said.