Charitable donations down, after district changes policy

New rules for community service hours went into effect at the beginning of the school year and are affecting donations. The district mandated that students can no longer earn service hours in exchange for donations.

“The district felt it was not in the spirit of giving if students were given something in return for their donation,” Principal Carmen Crosse said.

Organizations don’t have a problem with the new rule, but many students no longer donate, because there is no reward attached to their donation. Charitable donations have fallen compared to last year.

Every student in the district has to complete 80 hours of community service to participate in graduation activities. If the hours are not completed the students cannot participate in the Senior Farewell or other graduation activities and must pay $35 to attend Project Celebration.

School organization sponsors vary in response to the policy change.

“I think we should go back to the original rule, it’s creating an environment where kids choose to be deceptive or try to manipulate others to lie for (the hours),” English teacher Michelle Merritt said.

Change can be good, but sometimes change can have an unexpected impact.

“I have mixed feelings about it. I agree in the sense that students need to learn to give of their time more than items, but also the ones who were (donating)  understand the value of their money,” Career and Technology Education teacher Guadalupe Ramirez said.

Some feel that community service hours listed on a diploma should represent a hardworking person that didn’t expect anything in return.

“I always tell my students that it’s better to give than to receive,” Career and Technology Education teacher Gabriela Molina said.

Community service is meant to be as important to the giver as to the receiver.

“The organizations we helped last year continue to need our help. Giving needs to come from the heart and the only reward is knowing that you helped someone in need,” Crosse said.