Lady Conquistadores end basketball season

With an overall record of 16-15 and a district record of 6-10, the varsity basketball girls  made  strides to improve from last year’s team. The Ladies finished 7th in  district. Their toughest competition was Hanks High School in first place and second place Eastlake High School. The Ladies worked hard averaging 9.3 assists, a league third best. Returning seniors Taylor Acosta and Alexa Leyva lead the team and had good seasons. Acosta is averaging 18 points and 3.9 assists per game which are both a team high. Leyva is averaging 2.2 points and .4 assists. They both contributed with experience and leadership. “The freshmen don’t play like freshmen, they play like they have a lot of experience. They always come out with a lot of energy and are never afraid to play.” point guard Acosta said. There are four freshmen on varsity; two are posts and two are guards. Freshman Alexia Gonzales is averaging 6.7 points which is the team’s third highest and freshman Cindy Ramos is averaging 3.9 rebounds per game, the team’s highest. “Freshmen are the future. All the time and energy invested in them will affect the future of our program in a very positive way,” coach Gabriela Diaz said. The team has since last year and the Ladies made a harder push every game to get the “W.” They won their last game against Canutillo, it was the team’s Senior Night. “This year’s team has a greater sense of team unity and work ethic. Playing with speed, confidence, intensity on defense and most importantly, team unity,” Diaz said.

Alexa Leyva shoots a three pointer.
Alexa  shoots a three pointer.