Bases loaded; varsity baseball team strives for success

Angelica Ledesma, Reporter

Baseball is more than just a glove and a bat. The varsity baseball team is working hard for success. With 17 players on the team, they all come together to make it happen.

“Baseball is life, I’ve been playing since I was three so I’m pretty much addicted to it,” shortstop Sergio Herrera said.

Playing the game has its challenges.

“We’ve failed many challenging teams but the most was Hanks and Eastlake because they would never let down and were always fighting till the last out,” third baseman Tony Leyba said. “But I believe we can contend and beat them by doing everything we have prepared to do and never give up.”

Motivation is key for this team.

“My teammates and coaches motivate me to work hard when I play,” left fielder Adrian Quintana said, “However my biggest motivation is my family.”

Being in the team, means representing the school by competing in a higher level performance

“To be honest, I love playing at higher level like varsity” Leyba said. “Because it motivates me to work more on the sport and see what I can do on that field.”

Each player set their goals before the season started.

“My goal is to have the most bases stolen than everyone else on the team,” Herrera said.

As of May 1, over a week since the season has ended, varsity stands 6-10 in district and 15-14 overall.

Baseball head coach, O’Neill Sanchez, recognizes he has dedicated team.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to be the head coach at Del Valle High School,” Sanchez said. “The team is a great bunch of boys and I have enjoyed every minute with them.”