Transfer students contribute to Big Bad Blue

Brandon Whipple

Students in the W200 hall transition to fourth period.

Eddie Zepeda, Reporter

There are about 700 transfer students and they impact Big Bad Blue in a good way. Transfer students must meet higher expectations than students who are part of the home school community.

“I know that I have more expectations as a transfer student I have to keep A’s and B’s,” junior Javier Duchene said. “But that’s nothing new to me.”

Attendance and grades play a big role in order to stay in Big Bad Blue.

“They need to have good attendance, good grades, pass all their EOC tests and (have) no referrals to the office,” principal Antonio Acuña said.

There are many programs to pick from such as theater tech, orchestra or business.

“I am part of the orchestra at DV, as well as in the engineering program and MBA (Multinational Business Academy,)”  transfer student Martin Rodriguez said. “I want to major in business.”

Teachers regularly work with students.

“What I like about Del Valle is that the teachers are available to give students a better education,” Duchene said. “(They are) trying to get us to college.”

Students are comfortable in this environment.

“What I like about Del Valle is that you have good and friendly people here,” transfer student Karla Mendez said. “You also have good teachers that are willing to spend their time if any student needs help understanding the material.”

Transfer students benefit the school.

“Since we have more students, we have more money, more teachers and more athletes. We have more of everything, so it actually helps. If you have less students, you lose teachers, and if you lose students you have less people playing basketball, track (etc). Having transfer students helps a lot because you can do more positive things for the school,” Acuña said.