Senioritis sets in as graduation approaches

Senior+Natalia+suffers+from+senioritis+while+Derick+continues+to+calmly+work+on+his+homework.+

By Michelle Hernandez

Senior Natalia suffers from senioritis while Derick continues to calmly work on his homework.

Michelle Hernandez, Reporter

As the countdown begins for graduation senioritis, is on the rise. Some students have been suffering from the malady that has only intensified since the first day of school. Others have felt it since freshman year.

Whatever the case some are ready for a change.

“I’m ready because I hate high school drama, I want to meet new people. I get tired of seeing the same people and college will be full of new experiences,” senior Natalia Dominguez said.

Teachers and class sponsors keep graduation in mind.

“I’m happy for the seniors but it’s crazy because time is going fast and there’s so much to do,” English teacher Lynne Spurgeon said.

This graduation is a special one for Class of 2018 sponsor Ricardo Jordan.

“I’m full of mixed emotions because this has been the best group and other years had been sad. This year is more emotional due to my own kid Bruce graduating,” Jordan said.

Graduation is four months away and senioritis is taking a toll.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 “I’ve had senioritis since the summer. I just want to get high school over with so I can start college. I am anxious because it feels so close but so far away,” Dominguez said.

Senioritis comes with symptoms.

“I have been procrastinating. Senioritis feels pretty bad,” senior Eddie Trevizo Jr. said.

Counselors and teachers tell seniors not to let up on school because there is still a lot of time between now and graduation.

“E20/20 enrollment looks like it has increased this second semester (some). Seniors work at their own pace to finish work in core classes but some don’t finish in time,” counselor Ivan Bracho said.

Some teachers aren’t worried about students in their classes.

“The students are still working pretty well,” Spurgeon said.

Students can suffer serious cases of senioritis.

“I don’t want to do anything. I don’t think I’m controlling senioritis, to be honest. It’s more like it’s controlling me. I’m even counting the days to get out of high school. The year has been up and down, but I realized that life is going to be rough no matter what,” Dominguez said.