Getting the car facts

Alan Enriquez

Subaru Impreza WRX.

Alan Enriquez, Reporter

A car is a big money item and is difficult to acquire especially for students. The new car models, which everyone wants, are usually well over $15,000 and most students cannot afford that, but there’s a solution. Older cars are affordable and can be as appealing as a new model.

Some want a car to drive to school, to work or to go cruising. Others want a car to help out parents.

“I want a car to get places and help me move around quicker,” junior Alex Murillo said.

Murillo has always had an interest in cars and is passionate about them.

“I remember as a kid I would always play racing games and I watched all of the Fast & Furious movies. I have loved cars ever since,” Murillo said.

Many students own older cars. A lot of cars from the 90s to the early 2000s in good condition can range from $2,000 to $5,000.

“I own a 2000 Ford Mustang. I got it from a lot for $2,700,” junior Ernesto Holguin said. Holguin has owned his car over a year and it runs well even after a minor accident.

Knowing what to look for when purchasing a car is important. If a defect is found in the car the price could be reduced through negotiation with the seller. It’s also important because it may determine how long the car may last.

“When buying a car I would check for the number of miles, a clean title, condition of the interior, if there’s any rust, the life of the tires, and other things that will save me money,” junior Brian Valenzuela said.

A clean title means that a car has never been in a junkyard or it hasn’t been involved in any catastrophic events, a clear title means that the person has full legal ownership of the car.

A car can offer a sense of freedom. It provides an opportunity to go anywhere. It can take you places you’ve never been to before and let you see things you’ve never seen. It could be a long lasting journey and it all starts with a turn of a key.