Girls drive their way into district competition

Girls varsity basketball guards Maya and Natalie get into position as Amber brings the ball up court against the Parkland Matadors, Dec. 5, at home.

Hector Diaz, Reporter

The whistle blows as the two centers leap into the air reaching for the ball. Basketball is officially here. There are high expectations for the girls varsity basketball team, but new seasons can be tough on coaches and players. The first non-conference game against El Paso High School ended 42-37, El Paso High School, Nov. 3.

“It’s a slow start, we’re going to get better as the season progresses, we’re being very inconsistent this season,” girls varsity head coach Gabriela Diaz said.

Differences distinguish schools.

“We have two of the best guards in the city, Desiree Arroyo and Amber Contreras that is what makes us different from other schools,” Diaz said.

Big Bad Blue Ladies have goals going into the season

“We want to have playoffs, we have high expectations this season,” coach Diaz said.

The atmosphere on game days can mean mixed emotions for the team and coaches.

“ It starts off optimistic, we look at the strengths of both squads, warmups is when reality sets in and nerves come into effect,” girls assistant head coach Christian Valdez said.

Teams often change and can come with new opportunities.

“This year’s team is different from last year, because they’re faster, more resilient, and easier to lead,” coach Valdez said.

Strategy isn’t anything new to the game of basketball.

“We rely on our speed for offense strategy, and the full-court press for our defensive strategy,” captain Desiree Arroyo said.