‘Nightmare Revisited,’ bears revisit

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Nightmare Revisited,’ bears revisit

Composition by Cameron Laborin

Composition by Cameron Laborin

Composition by Cameron Laborin

Cameron Laborin, Co-Editor

Watching holiday movies is a great way to get into the festivities. Whether it’s How The Grinch Stole Christmas or Scary Godmother: Halloween Spooktacular, anyone can sit down and enjoy a movie about their favorite holiday. One film fits more than a single occasion: Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas. Some may argue that this is more of a Halloween movie, others say it’s a Christmas flick. One thing all can agree on is that the soundtrack is masterfully crafted. So much so that, after the film’s release, a cover album was created in collaboration with many different artists. Whether these artists are Marilyn Manson, Plain White T’s, or Korn, their takes of Danny Elfman’s original works are extraordinary.

Though the original movie soundtrack was filled with whimsy and genuine mirth and melancholy, rock artists transformed the feeling of the soundtrack.

Marilyn Manson’s cover of “This is Halloween” transformed the hushed and cartoonish voices of the film’s cast into a more fearsome collection of humane monsters. The lead into the song is much more pronounced and far less gentle on the ears with an aggressive bass and drums to match. This cover has become widely popular, and for good reason: not only is this one of the most memorable songs in the entire film, but Marilyn Manson refurbished it with all of the skill, character, and talent he is known for.

Plain White T’s cover of “Poor Jack” stayed more faithful to the original tune than Marilyn Manson’s cover. “Poor Jack” has our hero, Jack, lamenting over the failure of his plans but rekindling his passion for Halloween. The original starts with a lamenting tone and shifts to a more boastful and ecstatic one as Jack realizes his place as Pumpkin King and abandons his Sandy Claws robes. The cover is far more faithful to the original, though Plain White T’s give the song backup vocals and a more spooky tone overall by having the lead singer whisper at times. Fantastic, overall.

Korn’s cover of “Kidnap the Sandy Claws” takes the childish and morbid humor of the original and brings the metal sounds they are known well for. From expert work on the instrumentals to the full talent of three vocalists, Danny Elfman’s work was not only treated masterfully, but made into another masterpiece.

There are many other songs and artists to explore through this album, many that aren’t as popular as the three listed above. Being able to listen to a childhood classic reimagined is wonderful, but being able to explore so many groups and their music from this cover album is a chance none would want to miss. A gorgeous soundtrack, both as Danny Elfman’s art and the reimagined works it has become.