New signs, Class of 2017 gifts

Brandon Whipple

Two signs were added to the school grounds late June. They were gifts from the Class of 2017.

Brandon Whipple, Reporter

Students were greeted by three new signs. Two to the left of the school entrance and one on top of the school’s entrance. These signs include the school logo, the school name and one that has a weathered look to it.

The Conquistador sign located to the left of the school’s entrance is designed to look old.

“The iron gives a rustic feel to Del Valle and that’s what I like about it, it’s very organic,” social studies teacher Rosa Estala said.

Not everyone took to the design idea.

“I dislike the rustic sign, I think it’s to rusty, they should have used new iron or at least painted it,” Junior Claudia Medina said.

The design is meant to gain a patina with time “The goal is to keep it unpainted and let time do its work.” Estala said.

On the science wing there is a new sign with a new logo. Last year it was a Conquistador on a horse.

“All the class had done to this sign was change the face to it” Principal  Antonio Acuńa said.

The third sign is on the top right of the school’s entrance and reads  Del Valle High School.

“I like the Del Valle Sign because it gives the school a better look,” junior Andrea Chavez said.

Another sign that was added to the school is located located on the top right of the school entrance.

Student activity co-sponsor Christopher Lopez was working on this project but asked the Class of 2017 to take over and present it as their gift to the school. The class fundraised by selling  chips, senior T-shirts, snacks and drinks at many school sports events.

“The old signs were old and breaking. The school decided to throw them out,” Acuńa said.