Volleyball team faces tough season

Varsity middle blocker Madison spikes the ball over two Horizon players, as Natalia, Bernadette, and Maya watch the play develop. The team played three sets against the Scorpions, 0-3, Sept. 26.

Hector Diaz, Reporter

It’s volleyball season, the sweat, tears, and burns from diving on the court desperately trying to keep the ball in play have finally paid off. The two-a-days are over, but there is still time and effort to put in. The young team is made up of seven returning varsity players, and six new varsity members. Playing their first game against Austin High School, the team is 17 games into a season of tough competition standing 0-9 in district, 1-20 overall.

Challengers, are common among schools that are close to each other.

“Ysleta, Ysleta has always been our rivals,” captain Natalia Gonzalez said.

Differences distinguishes schools and makes them different.

“Ninety percent are from the Big Bad Blue community, the other thing is the kids are academically strong, a lot of parent support distinguishes us from other teams,” varsity volleyball coach Jesse Lugo said.

With some new faces on the varsity team, things are bound to change.

“As a team we’ve learned about each other and our relationship has grown to be better,” Gonzalez said.

Making varsity as an underclassmen is a big deal.

“It feels like an accomplished goal, but the hard work doesn’t stop there,” back row Janelle Cardona said.