Students develop app to streamline attendance

Sabreena Gutierrez

A quick scan of the student ID records a student’s presence on a laptop located at the entrance of A208.

Sabreena Gutierrez, Co-editor

Seniors Lorenzo Holguin and Emmanuel Oyervides may soon change the way teachers take attendance with a new app designed to make recording attendance easier.

The app is called ID ME and they created it for the Congressional App Challenge. Not only did they win, but some teachers are using the app.

“The idea for the app arose when we saw our teacher spend an unnecessary amount of time to take attendance,” Holguin said.

Coming up with the app was no work at all but a quick view of how long regular attendance took.

“This works by having students walk in and scan their IDs and the program takes hold of the rest,” Holguin said.

The app is faster and easier way to take attendance all done by a scan of an ID.

“We have tried out the app on one class which is Ms. Edwards’ engineering classes, and it works really well,” Oyervides said.

To create the app, it took a lot of work in class.

“Structure and object oriented programing had to be learned in order to produce an app like the ID ME,” computer programing teacher Martin Armendariz said.

The app marks students late three minutes after the bell.

“I believe teachers will start using the app. It allows more time for class instead of having to take attendance once everyone is seated. The app takes right when students walk in,” Oyervides said.

The two seniors traveled to Washington D.C. to meet with members of Congress and  other winners.

“The trip to Washington went great. We went to Capitol Hill to present our app to congressman and it was really memorable,” Oyervides said.

Just to think how far two seniors have come from a high school engineering class is pretty amazing.

“Considering how far these two students have gone with the app, means they are making solutions and improving the way software works,” Armendariz said.