Girls only, no boys allowed

All-girls+engineering+class+working+on+spring+projects%2C+April+18.+

Antonia Seltzer

All-girls engineering class working on spring projects, April 18.

Jesus Vizcarra, Reporter

In a man’s world, the girls in second period engineering have the opportunity to learn without a male presence. It is a great opportunity for girls to emerge from the shadow in a field dominated by males.

“An all girls class can help them be more excited about the class and be more confident about their work,” CATE engineering teacher Yvette Edwards Brown said.

A boys and girls class is different from an all girls class.

“In a mixed environment you don’t really get the opportunity to do much because the boys want to do everything and in an all girls class, you’re able to do what you want without any boys telling you ‘no’,” senior Mariana Ramos said.

Some girls favor the all female engineering class.

“I prefer being in an all girls class because it’s easier to connect and we also understand each other,” freshman Lezley Martinez said.

Girls and boys also have different viewpoints about the engineering field.

“Most boys love cars, some boys want to make things while girls are more interested in things they can relate to like environmental engineering,” Edwards said. “Environmental engineering is where you solve problems around the world.”

The students in second period have a process for class work.

“We ask around who would want to do what, for example if one of us knows how to do something the others don’t, then she is the one in charge, and she also shows us how it’s done in order to have a better understanding,” Martinez said.

It was not easy to get the class approved.

“I had to go to a lot of meetings and it took a lot of convincing to get this class,” Edwards said.

The class is getting bigger each year.

“Last year there were 12 girls in the class this year we have 27 girls ,” Edwards said.

Some students would love to come back to the all girls class and experience it one more time.

“I am a senior so unfortunately I don’t get the opportunity to do so, however I would love being in the all-girls class once again,” Ramos said.