Helmets will not prevent Concussions

Illustrated by Sebastian Becerra

Sebastian Becerra, Head Photographer

Safety is an issue in football from pee-wee to middle school to high school to college to professional ball. Many players suffer from various injuries such as torn ligaments, or broken bones, but no injury occurs more in the sport than concussions.

Concussion, released December 2015, is directed by Peter Landesman, written by Peter Landesman and Jeanne Marie Laska, and stars Will Smith and Luke Wilson.

Its purpose is to showcase how dangerous the sport is, and how it causes head trauma post football.

An accomplished pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu (Will Smith), has researched brain damage, especially that of players who suffered repeated concussions in the course of their career. Ex-Pittsburgh Steeler Mike Webster (David Morse), was homeless post career and lived in his car, suffering from dementia. Many ex-football players have also suffered from this condition, and they have not been treated properly by the NFL.

Omalu finds out about CTE. (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy). New NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (Luke Wilson), tries to cover up all information about concussed NFL players, and many players take action regarding the NFL’s concussion protocol, by releasing once classified information to the general public.

The movie is appealing to audiences 12 and up. It addresses an ongoing issue in the NFL and football, and how concussions affect players. The movie is a great work of art and executes the atmosphere of the NFL well.