Vlalentine’s Day; then and now

Genesis Rosales, Reporter

Fifth graders wave goodbye to their parents, they enter the classroom with a big smile because it is a special day. They patiently wait for the teacher to finish up the lesson, once it is over the party begins. All the children gather round for cupcakes, goodies and Valentine’s Day cards. The cards are a simple gift of affection, each one comes with candy for every single classmate. Giggles fill the room.

Three years later teens walkthrough the glass doors of school to find a different celebration of the same holiday. Enormous balloons and giant teddy bears are lugged through crowded the hall. Girls show off their gifts, while other solitary souls hold nothing but books.

It is the same holiday, but Valentine’s Day is different in high school.

“In elementary school you gave the coolest cards to your best buddies and once in awhile to someone you thought cute, but it was all mostly about friendship,” senior Adrian Sanchez Said.

In high school it’s a different story, but some still enjoy this holiday almost as much as they did when they were little.

“It’s not just about the presents. It’s about the meaning behind it. Even if you don’t have a girlfriend or boyfriend  you just have to get involved and appreciate the atmosphere of love that day,” senior Luz Montes Said.

Some argue that Valentine’s Day was better back then, while others focus on the desire to make new memories now.

“It was obviously different when we were innocent kids that asked our parents to buy the coolest Valentine’s cards, now we ask for money to buy giant teddy bears and stress to get a restaurant reservation that day. But it all comes down to making the most of it, and to enjoy it,” freshman Leonel Rosales Said.