STAAR testing, Ready … Set … Test!

The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) is the new standardized test of the state of Texas.
“The STAAR is a way to meet national standards and is mandatory for Texas students,” Principal Carmen Crosse said.
The STAAR test measures students’  performance at the end of the year.
Before STAAR testing, the state used the Texas Assessments of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test. This test focused on students fifth to eighth grade years and at the high school level focused on ninth to eleventh. The state decided TAKS was a minimum level test and a content specific test was needed so the state replaced the test and introduced the STAAR test, as stated on http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/staar/
”The STAAR test is more specific and rigorous than the TAKS because this particular test is based on a students core class and is very content specific,” Principal Crosse said.
There are  five tests for the STAAR including Algebra, Biology, English I and II, and U.S. History. The state may add English III and Algebra II.
“Most juniors will be taking the U.S. History exam for the first time this year,” Testing Coordinator Norma Lopez said.
There is a four-hour time limit for this test. Each student has exactly four hours to complete this test. Starting next Spring the students taking the English I and English II exams will have five hours to complete the test.
Completing these tests between the given time limits is important to helping students move on.
“Students who do not pass all five exams will not receive a high school diploma,” Crosse said.