The best years of your life, myth or reality?

Illustration by Ruben Trejo

Ruben Trejo, Sports Reporter

High school, brings with it a lot of speculation of a life-changing experience. While this may be the case for many, others see it as a place where their learning has turned into more of a chore than a golden opportunity. High school overall, is really what an individual makes of it.

Throughout high school, many lessons are learned and observations reflecting one’s own character and attitude. One’s interests and hobbies including sports, and clubs will be altered. One may gain a new love or passion due to the numerous pathways and options open to a student.

High school is probably the main reason for stress in a teenager’s life, yet all the stress can be easily avoided if one chooses. Procrastination can disappear if one has the willpower to work and the fear of meeting deadlines for college preparations can be met head-on instead of  constantly delaying with a “I’ll do it tomorrow” attitude.

It can bring forth changes of groups or the kinds of people one hangs out with. Due to conflicting interests and the thought of “fitting in,” many friendships and relationships can be destroyed while a number of new ones will be discovered. While this may be the case, nothing lasts forever. One soon adapts to the changes in preparation for life after high school be it college or a job.

High school is a game of choice. One has the power to make the choice that suits one the best. While high school may not be, “the best years of your life for everyone,” it brings a sense of self-discovery and finding one’s self.