Tennis teams in the swing

Del valle’s tennis

Monic Hernanez, Reporter

Tennis is a difficult sport. Big Bad Blue tennis players sharpen their skills throughout the year and get comfortable with their teammates.

“We are working hard, our coach is dedicated to helping anyone who needs it and to making our skills better,” junior tennis player Oscar Barrera said.

Many students enjoy the opportunity they have to play tennis at school and are looking for options for a scholarships or advance to professional tennis.

“It would be a privilege to be a professional tennis player because it’s fun playing the amazing sport although it would very hard trying to be professional,” Barrera said.

Coaches are making changes during the season. Different plays make the team  better.

“This year we are working on our agility to move on the court, we do daily footwork. We also focus on our agility to control the ball and how we move as a team,” senior tennis player Sandra Alba said.

Although many students don’t like the idea of playing tennis, many Conquistadores are still interested in this difficult but yet amazing sport.

“We have three boys in varsity, two boys in Jv, five girls in varsity, and four girls in Jv. They are all dedicated to the sport,” Alba said.

Many teams have their own set of goals throughout the season, Big Bad Blue tennis players set their main goal to accomplish what they couldn’t do in the previous year and to improve their moves.

“Our team goals are to improve our players and have  better relationships within our teammates,” Alba said.

District play is very difficult. Athletes go through many games and playoffs to get there. On many occasions athletes don’t qualify for district for small reasons.

“This year our varsity  went to districts but we didn’t have enough players to advance, Jv is doing really well moving around and getting things done. For our next season we hope to have a chance to go to regionals and win,” Barrera said.