Students give back for the holidays

Jacob Mendoza, Reporter

Thanksgiving is the time to be joyful and grateful and a time to give back. That is what student council does with the Thanksgiving Basket project.

“The baskets are made for any needy feeder pattern (community) families,” student activities director Cindy Spitz said.

Baskets benefit the families in big way. To make sure student activities can help out the community they make sure they have enough baskets.

“Right now there are 43 baskets that are ready to be delivered,” Spitz said.

Student activities needs to make sure the baskets get filled with the right foods.

“The baskets have a complete Thanksgiving meal for the families and even extras,” Spitz said.

Student activities does not do it alone, with the help of about 15 organizations they  gathered the items for the baskets.

“A number of clubs volunteered to fill the Thanksgiving Baskets through Leadership Del Valle,” Spitz said.

The students who volunteer feel they are doing good by donating food for the baskets and they feel better knowing that the baskets are for a good cause.

“It makes me feel good knowing that I’m helping out people who can’t afford a full meal. I am also grateful to have enough to give back and not be in a bad situation to not afford a full Thanksgiving meal,” senior Noa Martinez said.

It is all about helping the community.

“I feel that it is a blessing for families who are missing food on their table,” senior Andres Miranda said.