Girls on the gridiron

Ruben Trejo

Freshmen team receivers Sophia and Ciltali in front of the football trophy section.

Ruben Trejo, Sports Editor

The freshman football team has some new athletes on the roster. They may not be big playmakers yet, but these players are unique. Freshman receivers Sophia Dominguez and Ciltali Luna are females playing in a male dominated sport.

“The girls approached me in the summer, they said they wanted to be on the team, as well as wanting playing time, I told them they had to earn it like any other player on the team,” Freshman team coach Danny Simental said.

There isn’t any difference in the coaching or privileges given to the new team members.

“The acceptance is well among the team, some of the guys back off at times on tackles, while others fully engage on the girls. It varies,” Simental said.

While some may see a girl on the football team as odd, or even extraordinary, the team takes a different view..

“It isn’t any different having girls on the team, we see them as any other teammate on the practice field,” freshman receiver Andrew Jimenez said.

The girls see the opportunity as a big one when it comes to diversity in the sport of male football.

“I think it’s good to see girls in football, it proves girls can be as tough as boys,” freshman receiver Citlalli Luna said.

These two girls may be tougher than most, physically and mentally.

“Football may be a guy sport, but I’m willing to take a few hits to be on the team and prove myself,” Freshman receiver Sophia Dominguez said.