Swim team prepares for season

Jorge Miranda

The swim team’s Border Invitational trophies range from 1992 to 2012.

Jorge Miranda, Reporter

From new to old, the long awaited return of the team has arrived, swimming fans rejoice, the season begins Oct. 16.

”It’s a great life-time sport, something you can do at 6-months-old till you’re a 110, it’s a great sport it’s very low impact, very good conditioning cardiovascular and its strength building, it’s an excellent sport,” assistant swim coach Bruce Reichman said.

The swim team is taking chances and pushing themselves to the limit by prepping for their meets with various training techniques.

“In water you’re displacing the water in order to move so your strength level in the cardiovascular level of fitness has to be extremely high so when we do dry-lands we push a lot of strength training for the core, shoulders and legs,” Reichman said.

The motivation is fierce and determined for the swim team, members surround the diving board and fight for the finish.

“This year I think we’re gonna try to improve getting to regionals, I’m coming in as a club swimmer so I’m gonna try to improve the relays and try to place well at regionals,” freshman swimmer Madison Valverde said

The team looks to improve from the last season and make an impact in district.

“We would like to do way better in district and get our championship back, and we also want to encourage more people,”  swim captain Jessica Duran said.

The expectations are higher than ever as far as the team is aware of.

“Goals are always set high we wanna advance through district and through regionals”Valverde said

Along with an impressive confidence level the swim team looks to benefit from excellent coaching from “swim team” head coach Jesus Sandoval throughout the season.

“I think we have a really good coach, so I think people are gonna expect more from us, because we have the coaching and we have the talent to go far,” Valverde said.