Big Bad Blue kick off new season

Nicole Cuellar

Big Bad Blue goes up against Rio Rancho, the team lost 52-36.

Jesus Martinez, Reporter

It’s a new season for the Conquistadors. The team has been among the top schools and high standards are set.

Like most teams, coaches review previous games to find rivals’ weaknesses and strengths. Football coach Ariel Famaligi  develops strategies geared to guide them to victory.

“We will win the same way we always do, by outworking our opponents,” Famaligi said.

The team wants to become one of the best in the district.

“We plan on taking this season strong. We know that we lost a key figure in our team, but with a loss we have many great players stepping up. No matter what, we will fight strong and hard. We have hope and faith that we will go far this year, because our team has heart and love, doing it day after day on that field,” varsity defensive end Cris Santibanez said.

In order to become the best, the tough training has to get put in to come back better, faster and stronger every year.

“Our goal is always to improve upon the previous year. Last year we were district runner-ups, bi-district and area champions. This year we want to advance past the quarter-finals and we want our district title back,” Famaligi said.

Almost every team faces difficulties sooner or later, but there is always a solution.

“Any time you lose a three-year starting quarterback, things are going to change. We’ve made changes to our offense but the style of play is just as exciting to watch,” Famaligi said.

As one of the best teams in the district,  the team continues to work on improvements.

“Our coaches prepare us all week, so that the strategies we use are successful. But when the strategies don’t work as expected, our coaches make in-game adjustments on the sideline,” varsity cornerback Brandon Soria said.

One thing the team didn’t have to worry about was recruiting.

“Our numbers exploded this year. We have twice as many freshmen than usual, 64 on Jv and 65 on varsity. A lot of kids are playing football at DV and that’s great,” Famaligi said.

It’s early in the season and it is not easy to compare to other teams yet.

“District competition hasn’t started yet so everyone is even right now until games are played and teams start separating themselves. We hope to be one of those teams,” Famaligi said.