Guest speaker shares Vietnam War experience

Illustration by Priscilla Erickson

The Vietnam War Memorial.

World History teacher Christian Valdez takes his teaching to a whole new level by not only teaching the class about the Vietnam War, but by bringing a former soldier of the war, his father, sergeant E-5 Arturo Valdez who was drafted at 20 in 1967, to share the experience with classes.

“I can talk about the Vietnam War all I want and it will never compare to a living soldier telling his experience firsthand,” Christian Valdez said.

Students learned more about the war from the guest speaker, than through a textbook or video.

“I kept wondering how people can get through that (experience),” sophomore Brittany Lujan said.
Christian Valdez shares the experience his father had.

“I’m proud and honored that he represented the country and made it back alive but I don’t like to think about how much he suffered because of it,” Christian Valdez said.

Students wanted to hear from someone who was in the war.

“I felt upset because people mistreated them after they fought for our country,” Lujan said.

The guest speaker told students that as soon as he arrived where he was stationed he went straight to training.

“We were taught how to shoot different guns, read a map, and how to call in air support and pinpoint our location. Even after all the training that I had, out there it’s totally different,” Arturo Valdez said.

After being wounded in his right ankle and right thigh, Arturo Valdez received the Purple Heart medal. He grew close with six men from his group. He visited three after the war ended then lost contact with them. He still wants to contact them. The guest speaker went in-depth with his personal story.

“My memorable experience was the first day I was wounded and we had lost five of our guys,” Arturo Valdez said.

There were airplanes coming day and night. At night they would throw flares so the airplane pilot knew where to pick up the wounded.

“The hardest decision I had to make was that first night I was wounded and the medic asked, ‘you’re next?’ and I said no, I’m okay. I’m gonna live. I’ll stay until tomorrow,” Arturo Valdez said.

Living in the jungle and mountain constantly surrounded by the enemy with no front line, the former soldier ate whenever he could and slept on a poncho on the ground even when it rained leaving him to wake up laying in a puddle. When soldiers slept there was always someone on guard.

“It feels good, (sharing my story). The students appreciate whatI’m telling them because back then no one respected us. This country is worth dying for,” Arturo Valdez said.