Student takes on Valentine’s Day inspired scholarship idea

courtesy of Leslie Zapata

In seven years no one has applied for a community volunteer based college scholarship. Senior Jocelyn Arreola took up the challenge. She cut, pasted, drew and wrote to make elders smile.

Arreola collected approximately 1,250 Valentine’s Day cards to give out to local senior centers.
“Jocelyn was spreading love to the community. It was a caring gift coming from her,” Go Center Coordinator Daniel Calderon said.

She applied for a $10,000 scholarship through DoSomething.org, one of the largest organizations for young people to impact the world.

“I got an e-mail from a scholarship engine and found a Valentine’s Day quote. I decided to make 1,000 letters in three days,” Arreola said.

Collecting the cards was no easy task. Faculty, staff and administration helped Arreola as well as teachers and students. The campus community came together to help the honorable cause.

“I know it made a lot of older people happy, to know that people care,” English teacher Michelle Merritt said.

Arreola encourages students to apply for community service based scholarships.

“Not only do they have the opportunity to pay for education, but they can learn a lesson,” Arreola said.

Arreola plans to major in Hotel and Restaurant Management at the University of Houston.

“I want to get experience and knowledge, to own a hotel where people will experience the importance of organic goods and clean energy,” Arreola said.

Arreola was astonished by the number of people that offered to help her, to accomplish her goal.

“Even those that didn’t know me well came out to help, and I saw how everyone was so excited for a common cause,” Arreola said.