Visual Arts department excels in art competition

Visual+Arts+department+excels+in+art+competition+

Ysleta’s Art Competion took place in La Galeria de La Mission de Senecu. Visual art teachers Raul Monarrez and Eduardo Saucedo submitted 20 pieces altogether.

Monarrez submitted 14 pieces, and six were awarded.

“I’m proud of them. I feel like they justify me being a teacher when they succeed like that,” Monarrez said.

Saucedo submitted six pieces and three were awarded.

Advanced Art student senior Luis Lozano won first place in the painting category with a portrait of a ghostly looking little girl, and got an honorable mention. Junior Nancy Galindo placed second in the same category with a self-portrait.

“I felt pretty awesome. I hadn’t won anything this year so I was really proud of myself,” Lozano said.

Junior Crystal Barrera took second place in the Drawing Art 1 category with a self-portrait and the honorable mention went to senior Sandra Yanez’s self-portrait.

In Design, seniors Alya Carrillo and Alana Ramos both took honorable mentions for their self-portraits. Senior Gilbert Quinonez took an honorable mention in the Ceramics category witha ceramic piece of Courage the Cowardly Dog.

There were 600 entries and 25 are displayed in Central Office. A self portrait by sophomore Lizette De Leon and a drawing by senior Lewis Elizalde are currently on display.

“They didn’t place in any categories but their work was so good it had to be shown to others,” Monarrez said.

All the work showed the talent on campus and the knowledge the Visual Arts teachers have passed onto their students.

“They’re exceptional students and they all have a bright future in Visual Arts,” Saucedo said.