Library gets technology update

Amanda Villalobos

New Windows computers set up in the library

Principal Carmen Crosse and administration discussed acquiring a new computer lab for three years and made a final decision to proceed with the idea last school year. The library has 30 new Windows computers and seven rows of four white desks. The lab will eventually include 150 new computers and desks. The universal lab opened for access April 29.

“It took a while to get these brought in because it costs a lot of money and we want to have computers the students are proud of, I want to provide a 21st century kind of place for the students of Del Valle,” Assistant Principal Carlos Guerra said.

The computer lab is available for everyone from students to teachers and parents.

“My hopes are that more students will come in and use these services instead of going around the entire school looking for a computer that works and that more computer availability will be helpful to everyone,” head librarian Elena Ortega said. To print school related papers it is free of charge, but there is a fee to print personal things. Students must have ID to access a computer.

Administration was aware that the school had an inadequate lab and they didn’t want to provide new, old computers.

“A major problem is waiting for a lab to open up and setting up an appointment to be sure you have access the day you need to use it,” Psychology and Government teacher Frank Diamos said.

Teachers believe this lab will be of great help for the entire school and not just for those who visit the library on a daily basis.

“It is nice to be getting new computers because the ones available in the library have a very outdated system and it makes it hard to do research,” Chemistry teacher Veronica Moore said.

Library hours have been extended; Monday through Thursday the library is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

“These extended hours are alright but the Academic Center is always open and it opens and closes later than the library does, so I think the academic center is a better resource in case students need immediate use either in the morning or during the day or after school,” senior Marlaina Navarro said.