Class of 2015 plans trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico

Amanda Villalobos

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico.

San Juan is an island in Puerto Rico with a tropical climate and colorful culture. Tourists enjoy visiting the beautiful picturesque beaches. Its cultural life includes dance, music, art, literature and sports. It’s a nice place to get away, enjoy the sun and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore and the birds flying through the sky.
Class of 2015 sponsors Nancy Pena, Corina Maruffo, and Chris Sanchez are planning the trip. The trip is to take place spring break of 2015.
”I agreed to sponsor this trip because it hasn’t been done and when I brought it up to the students they were very excited and we wanted to make it happen,” science teacher Nancy Pena said.
“The students of the Class of 2015 wanted to take a trip their senior year and explore a new place,” Pena said.
The schedule for the trip is organized by the Education First guided tours program. To attend, students must apply online. Students may stop by Pena’s classroom to receive an enrollment packet for more information about the trip. Any student in this graduating class interested in attending is eligible.
The enrollment packet includes information about a payment plan. The plan is set for students to pay out of their pocket. Payments are about $140 every month, due at the end of the month.
“If a student has trouble they can hold a fundraiser to help complete the payments,” Pena said.
The educational experience behind this trip is to visit a different culture and habitat. The students will go sightseeing, take a canopy tour, visit Puerto Rico Bay, go snorkeling, visit the rain forest, go on an excursion to Camuy Caverns, and end the trip with a salsa lesson.
The Multinational Business Academy (MBA) is scheduling their third club trip. In the past two years MBA visited New York City taking 10 students both years. MBA sponsor Melissa Alvarez is sponsoring these trips. The club plans to visit Switzerland, Italy, and France over summer 2015. Only MBA students are eligible for this trip.