Dress Code allows colorful expression

Andrea Salcido

Students enjoy colorful locks after the dress code changed the rules.

Andrea Salcido, Reporter

The district changed some long-standing dress code policy. For years hair had to be in natural colors only, now all colors are allowed. 

Clothing such as skirts and dresses cannot be shorter than two inches above the knee. Torn jeans used to require leggings underneath, but now torn jeans are allowed as long too much skin is shown and the tears are below the knee. 

“Dress code is necessary because there are some kids that dress in a way that is not appropriate in a public school,” assistant principal Dominique Alvarez said.

Dress code is a hot topic, because everyone has an opinion. Students often have issues with it because it affects how they dress. 

“I think it’s good to establish a dress code, because it doesn’t stop being an institution where we come with intentions to learn and not only to have fun,” senior Gloria Gonzalez said.  “When there is prohibition on how you can dress or express who you are, I find a problem. Torn jeans are the fashion of today and how stores sell jeans.”

But others might think that the jeans can show too much skin and be distracting. Even though the district is less strict than the last few years, they still want the students to wear clothes appropriate for school. 

“People might get offended if there wasn’t a dress code policy, and if someone decides to wear a t-shirt that is racially offensive or sexist, people will complain about it.” teacher Rosa Estala said. “Girls complain about what is wrong with wearing a low cut shirt. In some scenarios, they drop their pen, they go down and pick it up, and they are already showing more than their chests, and that is a big distraction for students.”