Bats swung into action

Maya Rivera

The varsity softball team preps for Eastwood batter.

Helio Leza, Reporter

The season swung into action with tournaments for both baseball and softball leading them to out-of-town games.

Baseball season started Feb. 22.

“We started district two weeks ago and we’re currently 2-1 in district and went 14-3 (as of spring break) in the regular season,” baseball coach John Beard said. 

The varsity softball team’s first game was Feb. 15.

“Our team started off a little shaky, but it looks like we are recovering from injury and some stuff that happened to the team. We are finally getting back on track and finishing games with a win as our record is 3-3,” softball coach Martha Hernandez said.

Baseball’s current district record is 10-4. 

“Our team has been doing well throughout this first half of our season. We have been doing extremely well from pitching to hitting. A problem we have is our consistency in run scoring ability but I believe that we will get it together,“ varsity pitcher Isaac Vega said.

The softball team went out-of-town Feb. 24-26 to Tucson, Arizona. Their district record is 5-9.

“The season has been very good and fulfilling. We have had a lot of ups and downs and some really good learning experiences especially since we were a young team. Some challenges we had were injuries and a hard time communicating on the field. We get along very well but a situation that hurts us is we don’t communicate with each other about what we’re going to do,” freshman catcher Yazmin Morgan said.