In-person learning begins

On left students attend online school through Google Classroom. On right  students in Hubs set up before in-person school starts.

Photos by Antonia Seltzer and Alyssa Venzor Illustrated by Alyssa Venzor

On left students attend online school through Google Classroom. On right students in Hubs set up before in-person school starts.

Alyssa Venzor

The new semester isn’t the only thing that is new as COVID‘s grip continues, Feb. 1, was the first day back to in-person school. But most learning continues in the same spot — the living room.

Coming back to school is a lot harder than staying virtual, especially since being at home is more comfortable and easier for students.

“Personally I am not going back to school because not only did I get used to staying at home, but the things I miss most about school are friends so if I can’t hang out with them I don’t think it’s worth it,” senior Savanna Torres said.

Those choosing to go back need to take extra precautions.

Students that go back to school have to have some sort of protection when going to school to protect themselves and others around them,” junior Daniel Luna said.

Although catching the virus is a big worry, there are many other issues to be careful for.

I’m worried that other students may feel discouraged from the situation they experience at school and how different everything will be, and they might not feel as motivated to do work or show up every day,” sophomore Derrek Encinas said.

But as long as students are getting some sort of benefit, it’s worth it.

“I think the pandemic has helped students by showing them how to solve problems quicker, such as internet issues, but it didn’t help our social skills,” freshman Maya Rivera said. 

However, the virus has caused mental and physical issues as well. 

“When it comes to physique, personally I got lazy but I know a lot of people who were able to finally build up the body they’ve been wanting. For mental health however I think a lot, if not most of us, have taken a huge blow and lost whatever motivation we had in the first place,” Torres said. 

Since quarantine took effect, classes have changed.

I would love to experience my engineering pathway like I did last year because of my elective engineering science. This elective has more handson experience but that was suppressed by online schooling. That would be one of my classes I would love to experience,” Luna said.

Students have also been making their own predictions when it’s time to go back.

I’ve never fully thought about when we would be able to go back to school in-person, but I think sometime during the next year when the vaccine is fully distributed, and everyone feels safe enough to be out again,” Encinas said.

As long as there is a vaccine, the virus can be contained.

I’m so glad that the COVID vaccine arrived sooner because teacher and medical attendance would be the first ones to get the vaccine and then the seniors and then the middle age and finally the young people,” Luna said

Because virtual learning is all students know, the thought of going back seems almost impossible. 

“In terms of education, yes I think it’s pointless. Truth is, none of us got the same quality of education that we’ve gotten in past years and going back to school the last couple months of the semester won’t change or help. However if the school is able to hold events such as pep rallies and prom, I think it would be worth going,” Torres said.

Nonetheless, students are excited to go back and see their friends.

Going back to school after being online wouldn’t be so hard because I feel like socializing would probably be the same thing but getting back to how things used to work could take a little time to get used to,” Luna said.

Students are getting the education they need one way or another.

I am glad of how the school is dealing with the entire situation and I hope to see positive things come out of this whole experience,” Encinas said.