Community service hours, required necessity

Azael A. Gomez

Counselor Lupe Fino approves freshman Nevaeh Tarin’s 20 hours for her Graduation Community Service Hours form.

Azael A. Gomez, Reporter

Students face challenges throughout their four years of high school, but one of the most difficult may be getting the required number of community hours. Counselors tell students to start earning hours in their freshman year, but many put it off until their senior year.

In 2012 the Ysleta Independent School District revised their district policy FMH (LOCAL) stating that students “who entered grade nine in the 2009-10 school year are required to accumulate a total of 80 hours during their high school career in order to be eligible to participate in commencement activities and ceremonies.”

“This also helps students in giving back to the community,” counselor Lupe Fino said.

Listed on the Graduation Community Service Hours form are the organizations students can volunteer in local public libraries, pet shelters, and hospitals.

“You can also talk to coaches and club sponsors,” Fino said.

When deciding how to get hours it’s best to do something good.

“The best way to (earn hours is to) get involved in something that you’re passionate about and not just earn random hours,” assistant principal Laura Ponce said. 

As district policy states 80 hours are required to participate in certain graduation events, but those who earned 300 plus hours are recognized by the district on graduation day. Getting hours can also look good when applying for colleges, as some of them may require it.

“The most enjoyable ways to earn hours are the football games in the student section cause you get to hang with your friends, support the football players and show school spirit,” senior Leslie Marquez said. “You can also help out teachers before or after school with anything necessary.”

There are other options in getting hours.

“When you don’t have certain credits you have to come in the morning to school, and you can get them that way or stay after school to help out with janitors with cleaning,” Montes said.