Major decision looms for upperclassmen

Samantha Velarde

Junior Melanie Hernandez reads a college pamphlet to learn of different majors.

Samantha Velarde, Reporter

The upperclassmen are having a hard time answering one question everyone is asking, ‘what are you going to major in?’ Many juniors and seniors are not sure about this next step.

Seniors explore options through different clubs and classes.

Senior Andres Flores is a member of FCCLA which helps the local community with issues such as bullying, substance abuse and finance management.

“(FCCLA) connects to the major I want because it has to deal with helping other people,” Flores said.

Some students remain undecided.

“It’s scary not knowing the exact specifics of what you want to study. I stress about wasting money if I change my major,” junior Bianca Saucedo said.

Being uncertain does not stop students from going straight into college.

“I don’t want to take a gap year because you get out of the habit of going to school and studying. Once I have cash there (seems to be) no point in going to college. Later on when you want to start something new,  you’ll have a harder time since you didn’t go to college,” Saucedo said.

For some students, an undeclared major may jeopardize being accepted into the college of their choice.

“When you have to choose which college you’re going to, there’s the tension of competition in the air. It’s hard not knowing what to major in. There’s that cloud of ‘what if my dream college won’t accept me because I’m undecided or because another student is better than me academically’,” junior Melanie Hernandez said.

Teachers once faced the same question.

“I remember thinking ‘What am I getting myself into? I come from a poor family how can I become anything’,” computer programming teacher Martin Armendariz said.

Armendariz was a computer engineer before retired and became a computer programming teacher. He went to law school after retirement.

“Don’t limit yourself. I don’t regret being an engineer but I would have liked to pursue law school because you have that and experience. My thoughts got the best of me and I didn’t study law until later in life,” Armendariz said.

Every student can agree that it is important to examine what a major has to offer career-wise.

“Make sure you think about your major and that you will be happy,” senior Adrian Cano said.

Besides worrying about their major, students need to keep in mind college applications are due soon.

“Time is running out for seniors and juniors. Seniors need to meet their deadlines with scholarships, FAFSA and college applications. For juniors, they need to talk to me to figure out a plan for college,” Go Center specialist Julie Rodriguez said.